Friday, September 19, 2008

Just Jammin'-The secret's out!

I feel my "domestic stock" went up significantly this summer when I started cranking out jam. When my jam making obsession was in full swing, I pretty much supplied the entire community with enough jam to make PB&Js for the rest of the summer. One regular size freezer can only hold so much jam-approximately 20 jars if you still want to use the freezer for other purposes...but who's counting? I am sure it would be a surprise to most women who are not versed in the art of "jamming" that baking chocolate chip cookies takes more time and effort than making a batch of freezer jam! As much as I would like to remain a legend for my jam making skills, I cannot keep this simple domestic secret to myself. Making freezer jam is truly one of those things you can do that makes you look super intelligent and domestic and the end result is pretty yummy too!

My addiction to jam began at the start of the summer when my mom delivered some strawberry freezer jam to me that had been given to her by my grandma, that had been given to her by a lady who made the jam from Amish Strawberries. Stay with me here. This jam was amazing. I felt like it announced, "I am strawberry jam!" when I took a bite. I was hooked.

I quickly made my way through the 3 jars and wiped out my supply. Being that it is not every day that you can find jam made from Amish strawberries transported through a chain of people, I decided I needed to figure out how to make this miraculous creation. So after some research, recipes, and trial and error, I found the perfect "freezer jam" recipe. Perfectly delicious, perfectly easy.

Now typically jam is more of a "process." It involves heating and cooling ingredients and boiling jars in hot water to seal them, which can be a bit of work. However, freezer jam involves no heating of ingredients or boiling of jars. For that matter, you don't even need special canning jars, simple Tupperware that is freezer safe works just fine. So let's get started!

Super Easy Super Delicious Freezer Jam (Yields approx. 5 (8 oz) half pints)

Tips to remember:

  1. This jam is called freezer jam because it can be stored in the freezer for 1 year. You can keep it in the fridge for about a month.
  2. Good jam comes from good fruit. If the fruit is ripe and sweet, that is how the jam will taste. Even though it is late in the season, I was still able to find some nice strawberries this week.
  3. I have substituted the Splenda/Sugar Mix (approx 3/4 c-that is the exchange) to make a lower sugar version and I thought it tasted good, if you are looking to cut the suar even more.
  4. You can really use any fruit. I have made strawberry, blueberry, cherry, and peach jam. The more acidic fruits are going to make a thinner jam. I also don't like chunks, so I puree all my fruit (usually frowned upon in the jam community-I am such a rebel!). This also makes a thinner jam, which I don't mind.
  5. Obviously making jam out of something like strawberries is a whole lot easier than pitting enough cherries to make 4 cups crushed. Keep that in mind if you are looking for fast and easy.
You will need:
  • 1 packet of Ball Brand Freezer Jam Fruit Pectin (I buy mine at Walmart-about $1.50) It needs to be this exact kind for this recipe which requires no cooking.
  • 1 1/2 c of sugar (this is amazing because regular jam uses about 5-6 c. of sugar-ouch!)
  • 4 cups of your favorite fruit crushed or pureed (If doing strawberry, I use 2 (16oz) packages of strawberries, and since I don't like chunks I puree the strawberries)
  • 6 containers that can hold 8 oz each and are freezer safe. I use the Ball Plastic 8 oz Freezer Jars (I buy mine at Walmart)
  • Either a potato masher, blender, food processor-something to smash, mash, and break down the fruit
Directions:
  1. Mix Pectin Packet and 1 1/2 c of sugar in a bowl.
  2. Cut up the fruit and mash it in a separate bowl.
  3. Stir the fruit into the dry mixture and stir for approximately 3 mins. I use a whisk.
  4. Pour into jars. When making freezer jam, never fill jars to the top as the jam will expand in the freezer. Leave at least an inch of space.
  5. Put the lids on jars and let sit for 30 mins.
  6. You are done! The jam is ready to eat. Store in the fridge for about a month or the freezer for 1 year. You can even take it in and out of the freezer to use it if you want.
Once you make this recipe you will realize that these instructions are basically those on the package of freezer jam pectin. I am no genius, just an ingenious mom who found the perfectly genius jam recipe!

(Brooke has creative project ADD. She is a teacher, designer, culinary artist. Check out her latest creation! She has 2 little girls Aislynn and Isla)

3 comments:

Joy said...

Yum! Blueberry jam sounds so good. I'll have to try it sometime. Thanks for the recipe!

Michele said...

use fruit pectin you say?...i've never tried that way before. i normally have to be at the stovetop with my mom watching my every move to get it right ;-)

maybe we'll go to the farmers market tomorrow night and get some blueberries! :o)

Michele said...

Ok, i made this last night... will be trying it on toast later. I'm not sure i made it right? it seems very liquid like, it did not set up in the fridge at all??? is it suppose to still be really liquid like or is it suppose to be more like JAM?