Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Make this soup and you will be happy

Food is on my mind. I admit it. And with fall, comes all kinds of yumminess! It is officially the season of the soups, apples, breads, hot beverages, and good home cookin'. I will most likely be consuming large quantities of comfort foods and baked goods, which is why I have started to go to the gym. I have lost 4 ounces so far. Thats worth a batch of cookies I think.

Don't get too excited, but I am sharing an original recipe. I have had a number of people ask me about the soup and I have never actually shared it (they probably think I'm holding out), because I never had it written down, and never made it the same way twice! But the last time I made it, I paid attention and here you have it.

The X-Waitress Chicken tortilla soup (makes about 8 servings-excellent leftovers!)

(So a little clarification. I was a waitress, I'm sorry, "server," at Chilis for almost 7 years in high school and college. My favorite soup was the chicken enchilada soup and so here is my tribute to that soup!)

You Need:
  • 3 chicken breasts cooked and cut into pieces (you can do the chicken in the skillet or the grill, seasoning it lightly with some of the seasonings you will use in the soup. You can even do the chicken the day before, or make extra chicken when you are doing another meal and cut it up for this soup and set it aside).
  • 2 small onions
  • 2 3/4 c tomato puree (canned) You can buy one large can and use about 2/3 of it.
  • 1/4 c vegetable oil
  • 3 c chicken broth (or 3 c water with 3 chicken bullion cubes)
  • 12 oz velveta cheese (I get the big block)
  • 1 cup of corn (frozen, canned, or 1 to 2 ears of fresh corn)
  • 1 Tbsp chili powder
  • 2 Tbsp cumin
  • 2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 3/4 c mixed cheese shredded (I get a mexican blend)
  • 6 white corn tortilla shells and a few Tbsp of vegetable oil (or use tortilla chips)
  • Sour cream (optional for topping)
Put that apron on, here we go!
  1. Dice onions (I usually do mine in the food processor because I don't like chunks).
  2. In a large pot, heat oil and saute onions. Add chili powder, garlic, salt and 1 Tbsp cumin.
  3. After a few mins add in the tomato puree. If you want a heavier tomato taste, you can add more. Stir and let simmer a couple mins.
  4. Add the chicken broth. Let simmer a couple mins.
  5. Cut the Velveeta cheese Whisk in the Velveeta cheese. Until it is melted completely. Now whisk in the shredded cheese. Add the rest of the cumin.
  6. Add in the corn and chicken and stir.
  7. Taste it! If you want a thicker soup, add some more cheese. If you want a spicier soup, add a dash of hot sauce or some cayenne powder. If you want a smokier taste, add some more cumin. You are the boss!
  8. For tortilla strips: Fill about a 1/4-1/2 in of oil in a sauce pan. Heat the oil. Cut the tortillas into strips and place in hot oil until hard or slightly browned. Remove to some paper towel. Sprinkle with salt.
  9. I like to put a dab of sour cream on top of the soup and sprinkle the tortilla strips on top. If you really want to get fancy, put some sour cream in a ziplock bag. Snip the tip of one of the corners, and drizzle the sour cream onto the soup (the the domestic entertainer mama).
  10. Pair it will some yummy corn bread or french bread for added comfort.
*Optional: You could add in some black beans in place of chicken for those vegetarians or add some chopped tomatoes, peppers, and chiles. I am just not into chunks and like the cheesiness of the soup which is why I make it the way I do!

Here's how I store my extra "tort strips" as we called them in the Chilis days. In a plastic bag with some paper towel.

1 comment:

Michele said...

you know i'm going to try this with vegetarian chicken and vegetable broth and see what i come up with! I will let you know how it all turns out :o)

because it looks really yummy!